Preparation time 30 minutes
Cooking time 20 to 30 minutes
Serves 6 to 8 normal folk, 4 runners!
Equipment: 2 x 20com or 8” sandwich tins, greased and lined.
- Oil for greasing
- 200g/7oz butter
- 200g/7oz caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 free-range eggs
- 200g/7oz self-raising flour, sifted
- ½ jar raspberry or strawberry jam
- 175ml/6fl oz double cream, whipped
- 250g/9oz raspberries or strawberries
- 2-3 tablespoons icing sugar
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 190C/350F/Gas 5. Grease and line the sandwich tins
- Mix the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl or food processor until well combined.
- Slowly beat in the eggs one by one. Fold in the sifted flour and carefully pour the mixture into the prepared tins.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden-brown. Test by pushing a skewer into the centre of the cake. If the skewer comes out clean the cake is ready.
- Turn the cake out onto a wire rack and set aside to cool.
- Spread one cake with jam, followed by a layer of whipped cream. Cover with raspberries or strawberries and place the other cake on top.
- To serve, dust with icing sugar and cut the cake into slices.